These are my fantasy rules.
There are many just like it,
but this one is mine.
Revised: Feb 2015
Patchwork Fantasy is a fantasy “rules manifesto” based on the REWIRED rules, but with a classic rpg twist.
- Uses a 1d20 mechanic, although 3d6 works fine.
- Perk system allows you to either organically build the character concept you want, or munchkin the hell out of a niche role.
- Spell system is patchwork too: simply design your spells by assigning 3-4 tags. For example: “Cast Lesser Fire Bolt,” or “Brew Greater Restore Health.”
- “Levels” are just a milestone in character progression. Everyone levels the same.
- “One Roll” combat: weapon dice are added to the attack roll total, damage is calculated by subtracting opponent’s defense. Fast, easy, deadly.
- Features public domain art, because I’m broke and this is for fun.
- RELEASED UNDER CC-BY! You’re free to use the rules here for your own projects, both commercial and non-commercial.
It’s messy, purposefully vague in some areas, and leaves a lot up to the GM to either make up or rip off from another fantasy game. Although formatted to look good on a tablet or decent-sized smartphone, this is really the kind of game you should stash in a three-ring binder filled with your campaign notes and heavy metal fan art.
Download includes the revised Patchwork Fantasy rulebook and a character sheet in PDF format.