Continuing today with my custom classes for The Lazaro Heresies, my house ruled version of The Black Hack. Here will we be looking at the more “martial” classes and paths — Warriors and Specialists.
Starting HP: d8 + 4
HP Per Level/Resting: 1d8
Weapons & Armor: Any and All
Attack Damage: 1d8 / 1d6 Unarmed or Improvising
• Stamina Die: All warriors have a “stamina” die of 1d8 that they may use once per Hour. Any warrior can use it to recover HP while in battle any time after they take their first hit.
• If a Warrior fails a STR or DEX test and would be dealt damage from an attack, they can opt to sunder (destroy) their shield – if they have one equipped – and ignore the damage.
• The Fighter may use their Stamina die to add to an Attack roll. If it succeeds, the bonus is applied to damage as well.
• At every even character level, a Fighter may make an additional melee attack as part of their action.
• At Level Up: Roll twice for STR and DEX, taking the best result.
• The Ranger has a Favored Environment – choose a keyword like Urban, Forest, Desert, Mountains etc. Any rolls to navigate, track, search for clues, survive, or being aware of surroundings is at Advantage.
• The Ranger also has a Favored Foe. Choose a monster type or faction (like “Green Skins” or “Dragons” or “Criminals” etc). When facing these foes, The Ranger’s damage dice are 1d10/1d8 for unarmed.
• At Level Up: Roll twice for STR and either WIS or INT, taking the best result.
• The Oathbound must choose a faith or ideal that they are sworn to uphold. Any actions to uphold their oath, or fight direct enemies of it, are at Advantage for the Oathbound.
• The Oathbound may use their Stamina die to inspire others aiding their cause – nearby allies can either heal for 1d8 hit points, OR use the roll result as a bonus to their next defensive action.
• At Level Up: Roll twice for STR and either WIS or CHA, taking the best result. If they achieved a goal related to their oath, they may gain a Cleric spell (equal to level or lower) that can be used 1 / day.
The Berserker (inspired by David Black’s Blogpost)
• The Berserker may only wear up to Leather, but has a d10 hit die.
• The Berserker can use their Stamina die to Frenzy. Roll 1d8 – the result is the total number of damage dice that you can distribute among any nearby opponents. The Berserker must then make a single attack roll versus all opponents. Any missed attacks in a frenzy instead deal the damage dice to a nearby ally (at random).
• At Level Up: Check for stat raises (STR and CON roll twice and take the best.)
(Totally a nod to LoTFP)
Starting HP: d6 + 4
HP Per Level/Resting: 1d6
Weapons & Armor: Any blunt weapons, one-handed edged weapons, any ranged weapon, and up to Leather Armor.
Attack Damage: 1d6 / 1d4 Unarmed or Improvising
• All Specialists roll with Advantage when climbing, listening, moving silently, and understanding languages.
• All Specialists roll with Advantage on DEX checks to avoid taking damage from traps or magical effects.
• The Rogue has Advantage on any checks related to picking
locks, disarming traps, pickpocketing or doing sleight of hand.
• The Rogue has Advantage on any sneak attacks dealt from behind an opponent, dealing 2d6/2d4 + Level damage.
• At Level Up: Roll twice for DEX or INT, taking the best result.
• The Skald can read magic, and use any magical item. They can cast spells from scrolls or books, at a level no higher than their character level. They make a spellcasting check using either INT or WIS (dependent on the type of spell). If the check fails, the spell still casts but the scroll/book page is instantly incinerated.
• The Skald has Advantage on any CHA check to perform, inspire, seduce, or bluff. This also goes towards resisting Charm effects.
• At Level Up: Roll twice for DEX and either INT, WIS or CHA, taking the best result.
• The Monk knows Martial Arts. Their unarmed attacks are at a d6, and are treated like two-handed weapons with finesse. If wearing no armor, they receive an Armor Bonus equal to their level. Lastly, they may use their WIS score to defend against melee attacks.
• At every odd level (after the 1st), the monk may make an additional melee attack as part of their action.
• At Level Up: Roll twice for DEX and WIS, taking the best result.
The Assassin (inspired by “The Poisoner” from Eight of Wands).
• Assassins have Advantage on rolls to disguise themselves, hide among crowds, and impersonate authority roles.
• Assassins may use Poison. They can use a poisoner’s kit to create a tincture, oil or powder that has a condition applied to it (such as paralyzed, weakened, ongoing damage etc). Each creation is a single dosage that lasts 1d4 moments. To create and apply is an INT check.
• At Level Up: Roll twice for DEX and INT, taking the best result.